Monday, April 22, 2013

Going Green on Earth Day

Seeing a bit more of the sun recently has gotten me in the mood to green this place up.  I love having plants in the house.  Even when there's dust on the furniture and dog hair on the floor (basically 100% of the time), a little foliage makes the place feel clean and airy.

I started with a jar from Goodwill to use as a terrarium of sorts.
Yep.  As the song goes- "it was 99-cents!".
I picked up some succulents at Lowe's.  Because they're so darn adorable.

I filled the bottom third of the jar with river rocks for drainage.

After breaking up each plant's roots and adding a little soil to the mix, the little guys made themselves at home.

 My next feat was a little more daring.  I got this little hanging glass candleholder for about $3 with a coupon at Michael's.  As noted, it's a candleholder... not a planter... but I was determined to plant something in it.

I needed the plant to grow towards the opening for this to work, so I tilted the glass globe on it's backend to do the planting.

A few river rocks later, and he was looking quite charming :)  It would've been easier to use an air plant instead, but I'm going to attempt to keep this guy alive.  If he starts to struggle, I'll just transplant him to a different jar.  Now I just need a spot to hang him...

We're enjoying the rest of this sunny day on the front porch.  Happy Earth Day, everyone!


No comments: