When Will and I started traveling together a few years ago, we adapted to a carry-on only rule... more to prevent lost luggage fiascos than anything. Recently I've been inspired by some minimalist blogs out there to take it a bit further, though. I'm not bold enough to pack only what will fit in my pockets and jacket like this guy (holy crap, I'll never be able to do that), and I'm not delving into minimalism head-first... think, only taking one pair of underwear that I have to wash 20 times. But I do want to make sure I've got plenty of extra space in my carry-on suitcase in case I find a Turkish rug or something to bring home.
We're taking a 10-day trip to Istanbul soon (TMI or not, I'm about to pee my pants with excitement), so I'll need a couple changes of clothes. While I'm paring some things down, I want to be comfortable. We'll likely be visiting a Turkish bath, so a swim suit is a must, for example. Also (curse the early May half-marathon I'm so excited about), I'll need to get a couple runs in while I'm there. So bulky running shoes and gear must come. Yea, I know. I suck at the minimalist thing already.
Oh well, here it goes...
What I'm Wearing
- thermal top
- jeans
- lightweight jacket
- boots
- bra, socks, and underwear, of course
- tank top
- loose-fitting satin top
- 3/4 sleeved tee
- black cardigan
- pullover sweater
- long skirt
- 9 pairs of underwear
- 6 pairs of socks (I'll probably have to wash a couple pairs while I'm there)
- 1 bra + 1 sports bra
- leggings for sleeping
- t-shirt for sleeping
- black ballet flats
- Bensimon tennis shoes
- running leggings
- t-shirt for running
- running shoes
- swim suit
![]() |
| Again, no one needs to see the panties and bras. The swimsuit was left out too... but this is everything else! |
![]() |
| Running gear. |
Toiletries/Accessories
- small container of shampoo/conditioner
- 3 oz container face wash
- travel container of face lotion
- travel container of body lotion
- disposable razor
- itty bitty deodorant (They make the tiiiiniest little deodorants now. They're adorable.)
- mascara
- powder & brush
- blush & brush
- eyeliner
- toothbrush
- toothpaste
- floss (Our joint New Year's Resolution is to floss every day... so this is essential!)
- travel packets of laundry detergent
- small bag with earrings and necklaces
![]() |
| My jewelry bag is super handy. I can pack a lot in here and roll it up without anything getting tangled.. |
Other Stuff
- canister of Advil, Tums, and Omeprazole
- money belt (I usually don't like to use these... we'll see.)
- computer (I hate to lug it along, but I plan on taking a ridiculously large number of pictures while I'm there... I want to make sure they're backed up on something besides my memory card. This is actually going in a padded case in my suitcase.)
- phone/computer charger
- travel-size hairdryer
Camera bag
- camera & lens
- battery charger
- sunglasses
- phone
- Chapstick
- hand sanitizer
- Istanbul travel book
- paperback book for reading on the plane
- passport, id, and credit cards
Here's the fully-packed suitcase. Look at all the extra space! Not bad, especially considering the running gear I had to fit in. And my computer will fit right on top. I keep the clear plastic baggie with liquids in the outside pocket, which makes for easy grabbing when going through security.
You'll notice I'm not packing near enough outfits to cover each day, but who in Istanbul is going to care if I wear the same thing twice? Most of the pieces I'm taking are my favorites, so I'll feel comfortable and confident in what I'm wearing the whole trip. Additionally, I've chosen the items carefully to make sure I have everything I need, even if I'm only taking a few articles of clothing. Think in layers. A tank top for under-layers, the loose fitting top that can dress up or down, plain long-sleeved tee for layering on a cooler day, a sweater and pullover for evenings and early mornings. I'm also taking a long skirt for evenings and/or dressier occasions (if there are any). No matter where we go, I pack a scarf to add polish to outfits and keep me warm if necessary, but for this trip it's particularly important. Since women should cover their heads when visiting mosques, I want to make sure I've got a scarf in my bag at all times.
I think this'll do it. Istanbul, here we come!





1 comment:
My make-up and hair products would take up more room! :)
Post a Comment