Thursday, March 20, 2014

Sitting On It

I'm just going to put it all out there.  Remember the table and chairs we bought on Craigslist a couple of months ago?  We sold them.  On Craigslist.  No, this was definitely not my original plan.  And no, this is not like me to change my mind after making a purchase!  I'm the person who hem-haws around for a week before I spend $20 on something- therefore never regretting a purchase.  I'm changing, guys.  Who AM I?!?!


source
It all started with the decision to replace the original 6 chairs that came with the table.  I'd considered it from the beginning, and finally posted them on Craigslist to see what kind of response I'd get.  A new neighbor came by to see them shortly after and happened to dig the table, too.

It's generally not my style to sell whatever items in my house visitors show interest in, but truth be told, Will and I had been semi-wishing we'd gotten a table that was just a bit bigger.  This is the result of a lot of reminiscing about family dinners and game nights with friends.  Then, a couple of weeks after we bought the set on Craigslist, an awesome new shop called Upcycle opened in the Quarter that makes reclaimed tables and other furniture.  That's where we bought the fantastic French Horn light I posted about last month.  Most of the reclaimed tables we've come across are waaaay more than we'd ever be willing to spend, but this particular shop is very reasonable.

So when our neighbor offered to buy the 6 chairs and the table for the same amount we originally paid, I basically shouted "Sold!" and helped her carry it to her house.  That second part is quite true, actually.  Carrying a solid table for 2 blocks isn't nearly as easy as I imagined.

In the midst of all this table-selling business, I started to peruse Craigslist in case some wonderful and inexpensive chairs showed up.  Sure enough, after just a couple weeks I was quick enough to nab 4 woven IKEA chairs for 25 bucks a pop.  My plan is to collect mismatched chairs, but I figured I could easily sell 2 or 3 of these at some point.  So the set came home with me...


Then about a week later, I came upon this vintage school chair for $25 at a thrift shop in town.  He was pretty grungy, but nothing a good vinegar-scrub couldn't take care of.


I'm contemplating painting it.  Maybe a bright yellow for the wood?  Or leaving the wood and adding turquoise to the legs?  I found a few inspiration chairs floating around in inter-space.  Like this from Dot & Bo.  Before they sold out, these guys were $265.  Holy moly.

source

So we're currently with 5 new chairs, sans table.  Our dining room is looking a little sparse.  Luckily the guys at Upcycle have already started working on a custom table for us.  The great part is, we made enough money (back) from the old set and some extra outdoor furniture we sold to pay for the new reclaimed table.  Woop woop!

More to come soon!

No comments: