The season technically begins following Twelfth Night (the twelfth day of Christmas, if you will, on January 5th), and lasts until Mardi Gras, the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday. Depending on when Easter falls, Fat Tuesday could be as early as the beginning of February, or as late as March. This year it's March 4th. Which means even more time to celebrate the season! It also means Valentine's Day becomes virtually obsolete. Sorry, Cupid.
As it goes for any other holiday, the mood changes a bit in the house. Our first Mardi Gras is all about the homemade.
Exhibit A: Paper "Bon Mardi Gras" flag banner and appropriately colored tissue paper pom poms.
I free-handed letters on yellow sparkly scrapbook paper (way cooler in person than in pictures, obviously), cut them out, and double-stick-taped them to plum colored paper. The edges are lined with green pipe cleaners, hot glued on.
The
"Beading" a tree is way more fun than TP-ing ever was, by the way.
![]() |
| Notice the scrap purple and pink fur serving as a tree skirt? It's leftovers from my Halloween costume. |
Call me crazy, but I've been aching for a peacock wreath for years. Yeeeaaaars, I tell you! It's been a mixture of nowhere to put it and no money to spend that kept me from buying one previously. I spotted this one at Michaels when I was toting a 40% coupon in my purse (making it less than 15 bucks), so I decided we were soul mates.
Those itty bitty candles on the left end of the window sill are Happy Birthday Joan of Arc throws from the 12th Night Parade we attended.
Last but not least, a little lagniappe for the front door. I've always made our outdoor wreaths, and finally came up with this idea after a bit of pondering.
Once I cut out the mask with a utility knife, I mixed together some blue and red acrylic paint to make a deep purple color. I slathered it on, then added purple sparkles.
Anyone else partaking in Mardi Gras trimming? Has anyone been on-their-game enough to decorate for Valentine's Day?











No comments:
Post a Comment