Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Chocolate Bliss

Will and I went out to eat for Valentine's Day, but I wanted to make dessert myself.  Since it was on a Tuesday this year though, I knew I'd have minimal time to throw something together.  I needed something fast, easy, but still wonderful- and I found it.  I'd like to introduce you to "Chocolate Mocha Pot de Creme"- a chocolate-fanatic's dream.  It's simple, requires NO baking, and is sooo smooth and delicious.  Here's the recipe:




Chocolate Mocha Pot de Creme (Adopted and adapted from allrecipes.com)


Ingredients:


4 oz good quality dark chocolate
1/2 teaspoon instant coffee (you don't have to use this, but I highly recommend it)
a tiny tiny pinch of salt
1 cup heavy whipping cream
3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 


Directions:
  1. Chop chocolate into fine shards (see photo below) and add to a heat-proof bowl.  Add the instant coffee and salt.
  2. Heat heavy cream with sugar and vanilla on medium heat in a saucepan, stirring constantly.
  3. Just when the cream mixture starts to simmer, add it to the chocolate.  Let sit for 1 minute, then whisk together.  Keep whisking.  It will start to look like a thin cake batter.  Perfect.
  4. Divide the chocolate into 2 coffee mugs.  The original recipe claims it makes 4, but this is only true if the mugs are very small.  Refrigerate for 8 hours.  We dug in after only 4, and it was still amazing!







No comments: