Monday, February 6, 2012

Super Bowl Recipe: 6-Layer Don't-Kill-Your-Waistline Dip



As usual, I made way too much food for our Super Bowl get-together.  This time I was glad I made extra though... I ate my 6-layer dip again tonight for dinner.  I sort of just threw everything together for this one, but it's pretty tasty.  And addicting.  Good news is, it's only about 130 calories per 1/2 cup serving.  Not too shabby if you don't eat half the dish.

Tip: baked chips only have about 10 fewer calories per serving than regular tortilla chips... so it's up to you whether it's worth the trade.  I personally like the regular chips about a million times better than baked- so it's worth the extra few calories to me.


Lindsay's 6-Layer Don't-Kill-Your-Waistline Dip (meat-free)

Ingredients:

These amounts depend on the size of your dish.  Mine was a 14" x 14" square.  If you use something bigger, you'll want to tweak the amounts below.

1 can vegetarian refried beans 
2 avocados
2 T cilantro, chopped finely
1 lime
salt 
pepper
1 1/2 cups reduced fat sour cream (you can save more calories with the fat free- but to me, it's not an option)
2 cans Rotel Original diced tomatoes with green chiles, very well drained
about 6 leaves, or 2 cups chopped iceberg lettuce
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used cheddar made with 2% milk- a little lower in fat)

Directions:

  1. Mash the avocado in a small bowl.  Mix in cilantro and the juice of one lime.  Add salt and pepper to taste.
  2. Spread the refried beans into the bottom of the dish.  Layer on the avocado mixture, then the sour cream.
  3. Sprinkle lettuce over the sour cream, followed by the tomatoes with chiles.  Top with the shredded cheddar cheese.
  4. Refrigerate for an hour or so before serving... or just dig right in, like me!



Is this a positive reaction?



1 comment:

Emily said...

I see he is even wearing his jersey too! Ha, ha!