Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Pinterest Challenge: Handpainted Mugs


As promised, I'm here for a Winter Pinterest Challenge inspired by two of my favorite bloggers- Sherry at Young House Love and Katie at Bower Power.  It actually inspired me (a word I've seen little of recently, if you remember from the last post) to create several small projects over the weekend!  Woohoo!  More to come on those later :)

The marker or paint decorated mug is nothing new on the ol' Pinterest, but I've been "pinning" and not "doing" for far too long.

This was my PINspiration (muahaha), from Wit & Whistle... adorable blog, by the way.
Courtesy of Wit & Whistle
Amanda actually used porcelain paint for her mug, but I went a different route.  I've recently been loving on the Sharpie paint pens, and scored one for about 3 bucks with a coupon at Michaels.

While I was there, I just happened to find this kid-geared mug and marker set on sale for $1 :)

After using a pencil to mark where I wanted my vertical lines on the top of the mug, I drew them on with the Sharpie paint pen.

Then I went back and connected the lines to make it chevron style.  Once it was finished and sat overnight, I baked it to set the paint.  I started with a cool oven, added the mug, and heated it to 350 degrees.  Thirty minutes later, I turned off the oven and left the mug inside until cool.

Not perfect, but I'm kinda diggin' the imperfections.  I was a little antsy to use that paint pen again though, so I found another white mug in the cabinet and added some doodles.  I repeated the whole oven process, too.

I'm seriously crazy about these Sharpie paint pens now.  I even created a little print for the dining room after I was out of coffee mugs!  Come back soon to catch a glimpse :)

Thanks to Sherry and Katie for hosting the Pinterest Challenge- Winter Edition!


6 comments:

Erica said...

Super cute! I have been wanting to do this myself! I think you have motivated me to do so :)

Stacey @ Likes to Smile said...

Love the flag banner on the mugs! So cute! I've been wanting to try this for awhile now, too!

Lindsay said...

Thanks, girls! I'm obsessed with these darn paint pens now! :)

Kim @ NewlyWoodwards said...

Really cute! I love the pennants. I've never seen the sharpie paint pens, but I love the standard Sharpies and the Sharpie pens.

This is one of those projects I keep wanting to try but can't decide what to make. We're not really coffee drinkers. Maybe plates? I'm overthinking.

Lindsay said...

Thanks, Jenny!

Kim- I'd LOVE to try plates, too! Oh, all the Sharpie painted possibilities :)

Anonymous said...

do the permanent sharpies work too?