Thursday, March 15, 2012

Underused Ingredient: Barley

I'm a big fan of whole grains, but barley really hasn't ever been on my grocery list.  I substituted it for brown rice at dinner a few days ago, and I've decided it's completely underutilized.  At least in our house. It reminds me of sticky white rice, which I would prefer over brown rice if it was a whole grain.  Cooking it is pretty similar to cooking couscous or rice.  Boil about 3 cups of water, add a cup of pearled barley, and let simmer for about 35 minutes.

I was also surprised to learn that it's higher in fiber and lower in calories than brown rice.  A cup of cooked brown rice has about 216 calories, 3.5 grams of fiber.  A cup of cooked pearled barley has 193 calories, but 6 grams of fiber.  Compare that to a cup of cooked white rice, which has 205 calories and less than a gram of fiber.  With all the evidence showing that fiber helps lower cholesterol, stabilize blood sugar and insulin levels in those with type 2 diabetes, prevent colon cancer, and aide in weight loss by making you feel fuller longer, how could you not want to get more in your diet?!  And a cup of barley provides approximately 1/4 of the recommended amount of fiber adults should get in a day.  Not bad!

So here's to barley- not just for soups anymore!

IMG_6046
IMG_6040
Some of my bulk grain jars, from left to right: wheat berries, pearled barley, couscous.

No comments: