Waaaay back here I showed you a little piece I picked up on Craigslist. It was aching for some love. It was also not exactly what I was looking for at the time for that space. I liked the style though, and had other plans for it once I revamped it a bit.
Check out that yummy top. Ew.
It's clearly veneer, and not wood, so I didn't feel the least bit uneasy about slapping a couple coats of paint on it. I started by cleaning the thing (a lot). Then roughed it up a bit with sandpaper.
I spent about $10 on supplies, including a sample of cream paint (not pictured) and navy paint from Lowe's, a set of little round sponges from Walmart, and a small tube of Martha Stewart metallic gold paint.
After a good cleaning and sanding, I brushed 3 coats of cream on the doors and interior, then 3 coats of navy on the outside. Once dry, I used a small watercolor brush for making the door stripes and dipped the round sponge in gold paint to randomly place polka-dots on the inside back. I also brushed some gold on the bottoms of the legs.
I left the legs brown, but I'm considering painting them... maybe cream? What do you think?
This piece stands near the front door now (if you couldn't tell), with the main purpose of housing the pugs' harnesses, leashes, and poop bags. It's a dirty job, I tell ya.
Oh, and if you're wondering why I have 20-something wine glasses stored here, I'm in a Mardi Gras krewe this year (!!!) and am decorating these for throws. More to come on that later.
So what took this guy's place under the chalkboard in the dining room? I did a
Unlike the cabinet, this dresser is solid wood. I'm not opposed to painting wood, by any means (see here, here, and here), but I really like a bare wood every now and then.
I think I need to use a good furniture polish or something to get the sheen back in order. It's not so bad to need refinishing (thank all the furniture gods), but there are quite a few nicks and worn areas. If you have any ideas, let me know!
If you didn't notice, we've decked the halls for Christmas! I'll be back with more holiday festivities soon :)










No comments:
Post a Comment